Adhesion promoter for plating
on organic and inorganic materials
- Unique technology enabling unparralleled adhesion of electroless copper to organic substrates
- Technology for direct metal deposition on molding resin
- Adhesion promoter for plating on glass
- Plating on new generation of epoxy based resins for IC-substrates (New ABF, …)
- Plating on molding compounds
- Plating on glass
- Adhesion promoter between E’less Cu and resin for advanced IC-substrates (Advanced Desmear): CovaBond® is a unique technology that enables unparralleled adhesion of electroless copper to organic substrates with minimum surface roughness. It is an enabling technology for the finest line and space requirements and embedded structures.
- Enabling technology for direct metal deposition on molding resin: CovaBond® MR is a unique wet-chemical adhesion enhancement process for primer-less metal plating directly on molding resins. Direct plating on molding resin enables applications for conformal electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding and “direct circuit formation” on molding resins, such as for FO WLP (FO PoP, FO SiP). The CovaBond® MR process can handle singulated and strip based products, using tape carriers to prevent the I/O side from being attacked by the plating solutions.
- Adhesion promoter for plating on glass: Atotech’s VitroCoat GI is a new and innovative adhesion promoter that enables wet chemical metal deposition on glass. It can be applied using a short, simple, cost effective dip-coating method. VitroCoat GI’s key advantage is unparalleled coverage in high aspect ratio through-vias versus competing processes such as PVD.
Did you know?
CovaBond MR is a unique wet-chemical adhesion enhancement process for primer-less metal plating directly on molding resins.
The CovaBond MR process can handle LGA and BGA packages, using tape and ink-based carriers to prevent the I/O side from being attacked by the plating solutions.
A New Reliable Adhesion Enhancement Process for Directly Plating on Molding Compounds for Package Level EMI Shielding
2015, PDF, 1.400 KB
Plating on molding compound is a relatively new field which could open up new package designs. One major application is conformal self EMI shielding (package level shielding) of ICs. Generally, EMI shielding is done mainly by metallic cans, however, this technique increases the space requirements and reduces flexibility of component layout on the PCB, that would not be suitable to handset products.
2015, PDF, 900 KB
In this paper a glass-copper interface adhesion promoting thin film is described that forms chemical bonds with glass, and mechanically and possibly chemically anchors to copper to create strong, reliable adhesion between the glass substrate and the deposited metal. Wet chemical deposition of a low volatile organic content (VOC), emissions free, cost-effective, water based coating solution was used to create a thin, transparent metal oxide film that then enables electroless, and electrolytic copper plating directly onto glass.