Highly experienced leadership team
around the globe
MKS’ Materials Solutions Division with its Atotech brand is led by a highly experienced team with an average tenure of three decades in the industry. Our management team is strategically positioned around the globe and consists of the COO, two business unit leaders, functional heads, and the leader of our China region.
Senior Vice President & Chief Operations Officer
Jim Schreiner has headed Atotech’s worldwide operations as Senior Vice President (SVP) and Chief Operations Officer (COO) since 2022, when the company became part of MKS Instruments, Inc. Jim is a seasoned global industry executive with extensive experience in sales, marketing, product development, manufacturing, and supply chain. Jim has held several executive roles, leading and developing high-performance teams. He joined MKS Instruments in September of 2019.
Jim’s previous executive experience includes:
- SVP, COO of MKS Instruments (since 2019)
- SVP, Global Operations (2017-2019), VP North Americas (2016-2017), VP Europe (2010-2016), VP Operations, Micro Motion (2004-2010) at Emerson Automation Solutions
- VP at Boulder Design Center (2003-2004), Plexus
- VP, General Manager of ILX Lightwave (1989-2003)
Vice President & General Manager, Electronics
Since 2016 Harald Ahnert has headed Atotech’s Electronics business. As Vice President & General Manager, he has global profit and loss responsibility for his business and oversees its product portfolio and sales and marketing activities. Harald has been with the company since 1997 and has supported the business in various positions, functions, and regions. He has a track record of driving growth and successful efficiency measures.
Harald’s previous executive experience includes:
- Managing Director, Germany, Netherlands, and Austria at Atotech (2010–2016)
- Manager, OEMs and Key Accounts at Atotech (2006–2010)
Gertjan van der Wal
Vice President & General Manager, General Metal Finishing
Since 2014 Gertjan van der Wal has headed Atotech’s General Metal Finishing business. As Vice President & General Manager, he has global profit and loss responsibility for the business unit and oversees its product portfolio and sales and marketing activities. Gertjan joined Atotech in 1989 and draws from a deep knowledge of the company’s business, global market, customer base, and products.
Gertjan’s previous executive experience includes:
- Vice President, Europe and the Americas at Atotech (2009–2014)
- Manager, Worldwide Business, Decorative Plating/Plating on Plastics at Atotech (2007–2009)
- Managing Director, Czech Republic at Atotech (2006)
- Supply Chain Manager, Europe at Atotech (2003–2006)
- Managing Director, Netherlands at Atotech (1999–2003)
Vice President, Operations
As Vice President Operations, John Stephenson has overseen all of Atotech’s global supply chains and operations since 2018. He ensures that the company utilizes best practices and skills worldwide in production, purchasing, quality management, and logistics. John is a seasoned international business leader with almost three decades of experience in global industrial companies.
John’s previous executive experience includes:
- COO and Board Member for Operations and Supply Chain Management with the NORMA Group (2009–2018)
- Vice President, Operations, Europe, Asia, and Africa for Hayes Lemmerz International (2005–2009)
- Director, Operations, North Europe for Textron Fastening Systems (2002–2005)
Dr. Rahul Bose
Head of PMO
Dr. Rahul Bose has headed Atotech’s Project Management Office (“PMO”) since 2017. In this position, he drives major strategic initiatives across the organization. Further, Rahul oversees M&A and digitalization activities, including E-commerce. Rahul is an experienced manager focused on the specialty chemicals industry, with a track record in strategy, value creation, and M&A.
Rahul’s previous executive experience includes:
- Consultant at McKinsey & Company (2011-2017)
Dr. Brian Daniels
Vice President, R&D
As Vice President of R&D, Dr. Brian Daniels has overseen R&D investments for Atotech products since 2017, with a focus on further improving R&D processes to drive value and differentiation for our customers. Brian draws from over three decades of experience in the electronics industry and has a track record of growing revenue through the development of new products and platforms for electronics, displays, lighting, and energy generation/storage.
Brian’s previous executive experience includes:
- Senior Vice President and Business Unit head for the Advanced Technologies unit of Merck (2014–2017)
- Director of Global R&D and Innovation Management with AZ Electronic Materials (2011–2014)
- CTO and Director of Technology as well as further management positions at Honeywell Electronic Materials (2000–2010)
Vice President, Greater China
George Yang has overseen Atotech business operations for the China and Taiwan regions as Vice President since 2017. He is a seasoned manager with over three decades of experience in the electronics industry in a variety of leading positions in sales, operations, country, and general management.
George’s previous executive experience includes:
- Managing Director, Taiwan (2012–2015) and China (2015–2017) at Atotech
- CEO with Roth&Rau, China (2011)
- Asia General Manager and General Manager of the Global Surface Preparation Technology Segment at ATMI (2003–2010)
- Director and General Manager, Global Services Segment GM, as well as other management positions at Johnson Matthey/Honeywell (1989–2003)
Vice President, Human Resources
Since 2018 Daniel Wan has supported the Atotech brand as Vice President of Human Resources. In his role, he is responsible for HR strategy, providing an overall strategy for advancing key people-related priorities that support the business. Daniel is an experienced HR professional, having worked in both in-house and consulting environments. He draws from more than 30 years’ international HR management experience, which he gained primarily in high-tech and chemical industries.
Daniel’s previous executive experience includes:
- Senior Vice President, Global Human Resources at Rotam Agrochemical (2016–2018)
- Group HR Director with AZ Electronic Materials (2012–2015)
- Senior Director, Corporate Learning & Organization Development and various other management positions with Avery Dennison (2007–2012)
- Director, Human Resources for BP Asia (2002–2007)
- Various HR manager roles for different regions and functions at Intel Semiconductor (1994–2002)
Sr Director, Finance
As Senior Director, Finance, Ingo Steinbeck has headed the Finance organization of MKS’ Materials Solutions Division (MSD) since 2022. At MSD, which operates the Atotech brand, he leads a team of over 200 employees worldwide, and supervises the Division’s financial activities, directs the preparation of current financial reports and summaries, and creates forecasts aimed at predicting future growth. Ingo joined the company in 1996 and has since supported the finance organization in various positions, functions, and locations. He has a track record of driving cash flow, analyzing strengths and weaknesses to propose corrective action plans and preparing accurate forecasts.
Ingo’s previous executive experience includes:
- Corporate Financial Controller at Atotech Group (2017–2022)
- Financial Controller of the Polymers division at Total SA, Brussels (2012–2016)
Dr. Roland Hagemeister
General Counsel Materials Solutions Division
Dr. Roland Hagemeister has headed the worldwide legal team of MKS’ Materials Solutions Division (MSD) since 2017. Since 2022, he has served as General Counsel MSD and in this position supervises the Division’s legal activities and leads contract negotiations with worldwide key accounts and business partners. In addition, he oversees the MSD Regulatory Affairs team. Roland joined the company in 2006 and has since supported and advised various major projects and M&A processes, including Total’s sale of the Atotech company to the Carlyle Group, Atotech’s IPO, and eventually its acquisition by MKS. Roland has driven the transformation of the legal team into a truly global function with designated regional legal counsel.
Roland’s previous experience includes:
- Attorney-at-law at Hölters & Elsing (later merged with Orrick) (2002-2006)