Global leader in plating chemicals,
equipment and services
Our management team
Our company is led by a highly experienced and talented management team with an average tenure of over two decades in the industry. Our management team is strategically positioned around the globe and consists of the CEO, the CFO, the business unit leaders, the function heads, and the leader of our biggest region.
Chief Executive Officer
Geoff Wild has headed Atotech’s worldwide operations as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) since 2017. He is a seasoned global chemicals industry executive with extensive experience in specialty chemicals and materials for the semiconductor and high technology industries, including PCBs, flat-panel displays, and electronic components. He also draws from his global experience with high-performance teams involved in lithography, semiconductor equipment, strategic marketing, growth management, product development, and mergers & acquisitions.
Geoff’s previous executive experience includes:
- CEO of AZ Electronic Materials (2010–2015)
- CEO and President of Cascade Microtech (2007–2010)
- CEO and President of Nikon Precision (2002–2007)
- CEO and President of TheSupply (2000–2002)
- President, Electronics, for AlliedSignal (now Honeywell) (1997–2000)
- President and Divisional Director at Johnson Matthey (1980–1997)
Chief Financial Officer
Peter Frauenknecht was appointed as Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and member of the executive board at the beginning of 2017. He oversees all finance and treasury operations, external and internal reporting, worldwide controlling, enterprise risk management, internal audit, the project management office, as well as IT on a global level. Peter has more than 30 years of experience within global industrial manufacturing businesses, during which he has also had considerable exposure to various cultures including the Asian markets. Furthermore, he has worked extensively in private equity and a highly-leveraged PLC business environment.
Peter’s previous executive experience includes:
- CFO and member of the Executive Board of Constantia Flexibles (2013–2016)
- CFO, Business Unit General Lighting/Professional Lighting for OSRAM AG (2009–2013)
- Senior Vice President, Corporate Finance, Accounting & Controlling for OSRAM GmbH (2004–2008)
- CFO, Business Unit Global Display-Optic (specialty lighting) for OSRAM GmbH (2001–2004)
- CFO of OSRAM Mexico (1997–2001)
Since 2016, Harald Ahnert has headed Atotech’s Electronics business. As President, he has global profit and loss responsibility for his business and oversees its product portfolio and sales and marketing activities. Harald has been with the company since 1997 and has supported the business in various positions, functions, and regions. He has a track record of driving growth and successful efficiency measures.
Harald’s previous executive experience includes:
- Managing Director, Germany, Netherlands, and Austria at Atotech (2010–2016)
- Manager, OEMs and Key Accounts at Atotech (2006–2010)
Gertjan van der Wal
President, General Metal Finishing
Since 2014, Gertjan van der Wal has headed Atotech’s General Metal Finishing business. As President, he has global profit and loss responsibility for the business unit and oversees its product portfolio and sales and marketing activities. Gertjan joined Atotech in 1989 and draws from a deep knowledge of the company’s business, global market, customer base, and products.
Gertjan’s previous executive experience includes:
- Vice President, Europe and the Americas at Atotech (2009–2014)
- Manager, Worldwide Business, Decorative Plating/Plating on Plastics at Atotech (2007–2009)
- Managing Director, Czech Republic at Atotech (2006)
- Supply Chain Manager, Europe (2003–2006)
- Managing Director, Netherlands at Atotech (1999–2003)
Chief Operations Officer
As Chief Operations Officer (COO), John Stephenson has overseen all of Atotech’s global supply chains and operations since February 2018. In his role, he ensures that the company utilizes best practices and skills worldwide in the areas of production, purchasing, quality management, and logistics. John is a seasoned international business leader with over two decades of experience within global industrial companies.
John’s previous executive experience includes:
- COO and Board Member for Operations and Supply Chain Management with the NORMA Group (2009–2018)
- Vice President, Operations, Europe, Asia, and Africa for Hayes Lemmerz International (2005–2009)
- Director, Operations, North Europe for Textron Fastening Systems (2002–2005)
Dr. Brian Daniels
Vice President, R&D
As Vice President of R&D, Dr. Brian Daniels has overseen Atotech’s R&D investments since 2017 with a focus on further improving the company’s R&D processes to drive value and differentiation for our customers. Brian draws from over three decades of experience in the electronics industry and has a track record of growing revenue through development of new products and platforms for electronics, displays, lighting, and energy generation/storage.
Brian’s previous executive experience includes:
- Senior Vice President and Business Unit head for the Advanced Technologies unit of Merck (2014–2017)
- Director of Global R&D and Innovation Management with AZ Electronic Materials (2011–2014)
- CTO and Director of Technology as well as further management positions at Honeywell Electronic Materials (2000–2010)
Vice President, Equipment
Frank Runkel has overseen Atotech’s equipment business as Vice President of Equipment since 2015. In his role, he focuses on the strategy and growth of the equipment business, which is an integral part of the company’s comprehensive systems and solutions approach. Frank is a seasoned business leader who looks back on two decades of experience in the semiconductor industry.
Frank’s previous executive experience includes:
- Technical Director at Lam Research (2014–2015)
- CTO and member of the management team, as well as various other management positions, with Peter Wolters (2006–2014)
- Various management positions in semiconductor process technology and customer support for SUSS MicroTec Lithography (1998–2006)
- Technical Manager at the Center for Microstructure Research at the University of Hamburg, Institute for Applied Physics (1994–1997)
Vice President, Worldwide Human Resources
Since 2018, Daniel Wan has been Vice President of Worldwide Human Resources for Atotech. In his role, he is responsible for HR strategy, providing an overall strategy for advancing key people-related priorities in support of the business. Daniel is an experienced HR professional, having worked in both in-house and consulting environments. He draws from more than 25 years’ international HR management experience, which he gained primarily in high-tech and chemical industries.
Daniel’s previous executive experience includes:
- Senior Vice President, Global Human Resources at Rotam Agrochemical (2016–2018)
- Group HR Director with AZ Electronic Materials (2012–2015)
- Senior Director, Corporate Learning & Organization Development and various other management positions with Avery Dennison (2007–2012)
- Director, Human Resources for BP Asia (2002–2007)
- Various HR manager roles for different regions and functions at Intel Semiconductor (1994–2002)
Dr. Gregor Frank
Vice President, Corporate Affairs
In his position as Vice President of Corporate Affairs, Dr. Gregor Frank oversees Atotech’s worldwide Legal, Integrity & Compliance, Patents, HSEQ&S, and Communication departments. Gregor has a wealth of knowledge about the company, having joined in 1995 and holding various management positions since then.
Gregor’s previous executive experience includes:
- Secretary General at Atotech (2017–2018)
- Vice President, Worldwide Human Resources and Legal at Atotech (2006–2017)
- General Counsel for Atotech (1995–2006)
- Attorney-at-law with Baker & McKenzie (1989–1995)
Vice President, Greater China
George Yang has overseen business operations for Atotech’s China and Taiwan regions as Vice President since 2017. He is a seasoned manager with nearly three decades of experience in the electronics industry in a variety of leading positions in sales, operations, country, and general management.
George’s previous executive experience includes:
- Managing Director, Taiwan (2012–2015) and China (2015–2017) at Atotech
- CEO with Roth&Rau, China (2011)
- Asia General Manager and General Manager of the Global Surface Preparation Technology Segment at ATMI (2003–2010)
- Director and General Manager, Global Services Segment GM as well as other management positions at Johnson Matthey/Honeywell (1989–2003)