A new era in Cr(VI)-free pretreatment of plastics
Cr-free and PFAS-free process
Meets current regulations
Suitable for ABS and ABS/PC
And a large variety of other plastics such as PP
Fulfills industry requirements
Appearance, adhesion, thermocycle tests
- Process implementation, quality and performance comparable to current Cr(VI) etching
- Applicable for standard plating rates of ABS and ABS/PC already used today
- Compatible with immersion copper and nickel strike
- Recycling equipment available to maintain the process at optimum conditions
- Appearance, adhesion and thermocycle validated for multiple industries, including automotive (passed for all majors OEMs), sanitary, etc.
- Controllable with simple analytical methods
- Highly suitable for a wide range of application including automotive, sanitary, white goods, furniture, consumer goods and cosmetics finishes
- Versatile process family, which can be used for ABS, ABS/PC, PP, selective plating, exotic plastics, etc.
Flexible pretreatment process for plastic metallization
Covertron® 600 is our latest development in our range of Cr-free plastic pretreatment processes. The reliable process is able to deliver similar performance and quality as the current Cr(VI) benchmark. Compatible with immersion copper as well as nickel strike, it allows for a simple integration into the existing or new plating lines.
By eliminating the need for hexavalent chromium for the etching of plastics, Covertron® 600 fulfills REACH regulations. It is compatible with a large variety of polymers, including most of the currently plateable ABS or ABS/PC resins as well as selective plating. Covertron® 600 finally completes our range of sustainable processes for the future of electroplating of plastics.
What inspires us
Why we developed Covertron® 600
Chromium trioxide, a Substance of Very High Concern (SVHC) according to REACH, requires authorization for use of in Europe since September 21, 2017. With an interest extending far beyond Europe to eliminate hazardous chemicals, customers are looking for alternatives to hexavalent chromium containing processes which meet the current technical requirements of the industry for the pretreatment of plastics.
Having been involved in plating on plastics since the very beginning, Atotech has long been committed to developing alternatives to chromosulfuric acid etching for the pretreatment of plastics and the task has not been easy. With Covertron® 600, our latest generation of Cr-free etching, we offer a robust process able to match the technical performance of the current chromosulfuric etching.