Our unique systems approach
Inline processing for printed circuit boards (HDI/MLB and Flex/Flex-Rigid Boards), package substrates, and semiconductor applications
- Unique systems approach: Supplying chemistry, equipment, process know-how, service and spare parts
- Leading sustainable solutions
- Two production sites in Germany and China
- Clean room production capabilities in Germany
- Printed circuit boards (HDI, MLB, Flex / Flex rigid boards)
- IC substrates
- Advanced packaging
- Flat panel displays
Atotech’s versatile desmear equipment Uniplate® P allows high throughput rates, from multilayers to thicker boards and HDI boards or bare laminate boards for semi additive processes, giving the best results with almost all available base material (except chemical non-resistant substrates and materials containing acrylic adhesives).
Our Uniplate® P has a long successful tradition. Based on this Atotech has developed the next generation „New Uniplate“ design which is incorporating all the benefits and advantages of our traditional Uniplate PLB platform. On top of this, the „New Uniplate“ features advances and benefits in reduced footprint, enhanced maintenance and user friendliness, energy consumption reductions, new pump technology and sustainable process control. Following the technology requirements, we improved the fine line capability by adding many sophisticated solutions for particle avoidance and particle reduction.
- High quality stainless steel sweller and permanganate modules ensure maximum process stability and low maintenance
- Integrated stainless steel filtration system for sweller and permanganate
- Designed to save resources – highly efficient chemical regeneration system for continuous production at stable process parameters (patented Oxamat® for permanganate regeneration) and sophisticated rinse concept
- Strong process performance with with patented flood bar technology
The Polygon P line is Atotech‘s new desmear equipment for printed circuit board manufacturers with high reliability and high performance demands in multilayer, rigid-flex and HDI panel processing. The new horizontal line is available in line speeds up to 3m/min and accommodates board sizes from 355×355 to 630x810mm with a thickness range of 50um +2x8um Cu to 2.4mm. Polygon Line series features all production-critical characteristics and applies them to a highly reliable, high-volume, and cost-effective machine.
- Equipped with technology to reduce consumption of water and chemistry (e.g. patented Oxamat for permanganate regeneration, encapsulated modules, minimal bath volumes, multi-stage cascade rinses and condenser units)
- Strong desmear performance with ultra sonic devices for swellerand permanganate
- The line is available with steam or hot water heating to use existing heat sources at customer site and save electrical energy consumption
- Designed according leading safety standards
Electroless copper process
The leading horizontal electroless copper plating line, the Uniplate® LB, is the world standard for classical horizontal through-hole metallization. Systems solutions are available for a huge variety of board thicknesses and sizes. More than 300 Uniplate LB lines have been installed for MLB, HDI and IC substrates.
Our Uniplate® LB has a long successful tradition. Based on this Atotech has developed the next generation „New Uniplate“ design which is incorporating all the benefits and advantages of our traditional Uniplate PLB platform. On top of this, the „New Uniplate“ features advances and benefits in reduced footprint, enhanced maintenance and user friendliness, energy consumption reductions, new pump technology and sustainable process control. Following the technology requirements, we improved the fine line capability by adding many sophisticated solutions for particle avoidance and particle reduction.
- Superior through hole metallization
- High efficiency fluid management and delivery
- New highly efficient rinse concept
- Automated cleaning cycles
- Chemistry analyzing system for optimum performance at specific process steps
The Polygon LB line is Atotech‘s new electroless copper equipment for printed circuit board manufacturers with high reliability and high performance demands in multilayer, rigid-flex and HDI panel processing. The new horizontal line is available in line speeds up to 3m/min and accommodates board sizes from 355×355 to 630x810mm with a thickness range of 50um +2x8um Cu to 2.4mm. Polygon Line series features all production-critical characteristics and applies them to a highly reliable, high-volume, and cost-effective machine.
- State-of-the-art throwing power in THs and BMVs due to Atotech‘s patented floodbar technology
- Automated cup dosing system enables a reliable and maintenance friendly solution
- The line is available with steam or hot water heating to use existing heat sources at customer site and save electrical energy consumption
- Semi automatic cleaning with best coverage and reliable cleaning performance
Uniplate® NP is designed for the Neopact direct plating process and is suitable for all base materials including Teflon.
The Uniplate® CP is the horizontal conveyorized production system to go with Atotech’s Ecopact conductive polymer direct plating process for HDI, MLB and flex/ flex-rigid productions.
- Selective process, capable of BMV and direct pattern plating
- Compatible with a wide range of base materials
- Low space requirement
Horizontal electrolytic copper process
More than 900 platers have been purchased from Atotech since its release in 1987. Steadily improved from DC to InPulse1 to now Uniplate® Cu InPulse2 (Ip2), Atotech’s horizontal plating equipment is the cutting edge technology for producing high-end mass products in various applications, such as through hole filling (THF), filling of blind micro vias, and conformal plating.
- Pulse rectifiers for even current distribution and Frequency controlled high current density guaranteeing improved surface quality and uniformity
- Insoluble anodes for improved geometry
- Inline filtration for particle reduction
- High level of automization and throughput
- Saving resources such as water, electricity and copper
Vertical electrolytic copper process
Our new plating solution vPlate® provides customers with best results using advanced manufacturing technologies such as mSAP or SAP and can be applied to various PCB types, ranging from standard multilayer and HDI to advanced HDI, Rigid-Flex and IC substrates. Uniformities of ±10% can be realized leveraging our concept for insoluble segmented anodes with adjustable anode and cathode shielding. Through touch-free transportation of thin panels (down to 36µm + 2×2 Cu clad), we today fulfill all market requirements for vertical continuous copper plating.
- Advanced plating capabilities through insoluble and segmented anodes
- Best uniformity by adjustable anode and cathode shielding
- Thin panel transport capability down to 36µm
- Flexibility regarding the line layout – adjustable to customer’s space availability and technical specifications
- Operator-friendly due to full automatic handling, incl. automatic copper & chemistry replenishment
- Utmost energy and water efficiency by using specialized motors and latest cascade rinsing technology
Surface treatment / Innerlayer bonding
The Atotech Horizon® Bondfilm ® family is an integrated production solution for bonding enhancement and surface treatment. It consist of Horizon® Bondfilm ® – Atotech’s intelligent and cost effective solution for improved inner layer bonding and Horizon® Bondfilm ®LDD – a unique process to improve CO2 laser absorption of surfaces prior to laser direct drilling applications at maximum reliability.
It offers Atotech’s latest technology package in chemical processing, thin material conveyance and advanced fluid delivery.
- Automatic discharging devices
- Advanced Cascade-Rinsing Technology with highly efficient and optimized pump circuits
- Fully automated panel tracking control
- Advanced safety features
The Stannatech® state-of-the-art tin deposition technology sets the world standard in thinnest tin deposition on printed circuit boards, making it one of the few surface finishing systems verified by all major automobile manufacturers. Our Horizon® Stannatech® production system is the best you can get. With Atotech’s unique Crystallizer™ and ConStannic™ control, the system is perfect for immersion tin for multiple Pb-free soldering and press-fit technology. Stannatech® achieves the highest mileages and process reliability in the market.
- Fully automated and controlled process via VCS
- ConStannic™ and Crystallizer™ auxiliary equipment result in extended life time and efficiency of the applied chemistry – No feed and bleed process
- Smaller footprint and higher throughput compared to alternatives
- Rollers allow safe transport of smaller panels
Electrolytic plating for the semiconductor and advanced packaging industry
MultiPlate® is an innovative ECD plating system designed to tackle the current and future challenges for optimal performance in advanced packaging applications.
Its key technology is the simultaneous front and backside plating capability with optional individual process control for each substrate side, including current density, fluid flow, and pulse plating parameter enabling superior surface distribution at high plating speed.
For advanced packaging applications MultiPlate® is available for round and square substrates for wafer and panel-level packaging applications.
Electroless metallization for displays
With decades of experience in horizontal wet-chemical electroless copper systems, Atotech has developed the new high-speed electroless copper systen consisting of CupraTech® FPD process and VisioPlate®. It is tailored to the requirements of the next generation products of the flat panel display industry.
The VisioPlate® tool features:
- Reliable transport of large and thin glass substrates up to gen8 size
- Adjustable line speed for an electroless copper layer of up to 2µm
- Special features for particle prevention
Service and spare parts
Matchless customer satisfaction along every step of our equipment and chemical solutions lifecycle is one of Atotech’s primary goals, from initial interest in technology and products up to installation and service to guarantee high performing products and manufacturing processes. Therefore, quality and reliability of every component of the final product are crucial to fulfil our promise – to deliver leading technology and high-performing systems solutions that last.
With over 1,200 production lines running globally today, we have brought our spare part and service offering to perfection. Today, we offer original parts for every crucial component of our equipment product lines, for Uniplate®, Horizon®, MultiPlate®, VisioPlate®, as well as for our latest portfolio additions Polygon® and vPlate®.
- Atotech original spare parts meet the highest quality and reliability requirements for best process performance
- Ensure maximum equipment availability
- Systems offering consisting of equipment, process chemicals and service (installation, production support, inspection and spare parts)
- Competitive cost of ownership
- Extended lifetime of your Atotech equipment
- Global availability of Atotech original spare parts
- Globally available service teams to support on-site installations
- Excellent trained and experienced service team
Universal transport system (UTS) – For ultra flex material processing (UTS-xs)
Atotech’s Universal Transport System is designed to enable Atotech’s desmear, PTH and copper plating equipment to process a broad range of different panel thicknesses. The Universal transport system consists of UTS-XL, UTS-s, UTS-xs and the new UTS-xs+. It is the latest addition to the UTS that opens new possibilities for safe thin material transportation in our Uniplate® P and LB lines.
An innovative electrochemical plating system for next generation packaging technologies
Automation and the intelligent use of production data in a smart PCB FAB. More and more high-end PCB makers for process technology such as (a)mSAP are under increasing pressure to improve efficiency, yield and minimize the total cost of ownership, without compromising quality. With increased automation and communication capability comes the ability to collect more production and process data which is required for effective process management and traceability as well as meeting high quality standards.
2019, PDF, 2,339 KB
Upscaling panel size for Cu plating on FOPLP (Fan Out Panel Level Packaging) applications to reduce manufacturing cost
The ever increasing demand of higher performance, lower cost and thinner end user devices like smartphones require intense developments and innovation in all areas of the electronic component design including the substrate and chip packaging. Latest manufacturing technologies in both areas like fan-out wafer level packaging and advanced substrates are constantly emerging and promise to be a critical piece to meet these requirements. The paper presents latest studies and conclusions in critical performance areas of the plating process such as electrolyte fluid dynamics, impact of anode design, pulse reverse rectification and newly designed electrolytes on panel sizes of up to 600 mm.
This article was originally published on IMAPS 2018, Pasadena.
2018, PDF, 900 KB
Horizontal copper plating processes have been used in high volume production to produce PCB’s for MLB, Flex-rigid, IC substrates and HDI applications. As the lines and spaces (L/S) requirements have become more and more challenging over the years, panel plating technology has hit the barrier in the range of L/S 35/35 μm in combination with a request for rectangular shape of the traces. This paper will describe a new horizontal copper plating process especially designed to transport very thin panels with a thickness down to 30 μm (25 μm Substrate with 2×2 μm copper clad).
This article was originally published on TPCA 2019, Taipei.
2019, PDF, 730 KB