Panel and pattern plating
Complete solutions for all aspects of package substrate and HDI production
- Electrolytic plating for the highest requirements in reliability and productivity
- Solutions for various equipment types: Uniplate® IP2, vertical conveyorised lines, conventional hoist type
- Market leading Uniplate® IP2 equipment for horizontal conveyorized production
- Conformal plating
- BMV filling
- TH filling
- Metal resist, electrolytic final finishes
Conformal copper plating
- Inpulse® 2HT: Inpulse® 2HT enables high volume conformal plating production in Uniplate® InPulse® 2 equipment. It provides best plating uniformity in through holes with significantly improved surface plated copper distribution comparing high and low hole density areas.
- Cupracid® TP: Electrolytic copper plating process for conventional hoist type DC equipment using soluble anodes. Outstanding throwing power at high current densities. Low surface tension for comprehensive wetting of BMVs and through holes. Cupracid® TP: Electrolytic copper plating process for conventional hoist type DC equipment using soluble anodes.
- Cupracid® AC: Cupracid® AC for conformal copper plating with soluble anodes. It provides excellent throwing power in both BMV and Through Holes at high current densities. Cupracid® AC is compatible with a wide range of vertical conveyorised systems with sparger electrolyte agitation as well as hoist type equipments with air agitation.
Copper BMV filling
- Inpulse® 2HF: The horizontal Inpulse® 2HF electrolyte provides outstanding BMV filling performance (SuperFilling). Superlative BMV filling results with minimum surface plated copper will be achieved. Thus the use of Inpulse® 2HF in the unique Uniplate® InPulse® 2 System in combination with the Atotech Fe-redox Cu replenishment system is ideally suited and proven for high end and high volume HDI production.
- InPro MVF: InPro MVF is a newly developed vertical process for current and next generation HDI BMV filling. The process is designed for VCP equipment in DC mode with insoluble anodes, sparger systems and copper oxide replenishment.
Copper through hole filling
- Inpulse® 2THF: Inpulse® 2THF together with the unique Uniplate® InPulse 2 horizontal reverse pulse plating systems is ideally suited for through hole filling , especially for core material with copper foil of less than 5 µm thickness. Inpulse® 2THF grants reliable and inclusion free copper through hole filling while achieving lowest possible surface thickness.
- InPro THF: InPro THF is a filling electrolyte for laser ablated through holes (LTH) in VCL facilities for IC Substrate production. The process is targeted for VCP equipment in DC mode with sparger systems and copper oxide replenishment.
Electroytic final finish
- Nikotron: Soft, ductile and low internal stress nickel deposits; stress and hardness controllable
- Aurotron: Electrolytic gold plating for wire bonding and soldering as well as hard gold applications
- Pallatron: Electrolytic palladium deposition for higher reliability and reduced costs for Ni/Pd/Au application
- SolderFill®: High-speed Electrolytic Tin Solder Depot Plating overcomes limitations of solder paste printing and Micro-ball placement
- StannoBond: Electrolytic tin plating process for Solder on Copper Pillar and for Thermo Compression Bonding
- CupraPro® S8: Biodegradable pre-treatment for all HDI panel and pattern copper plating applications. It grants excellent cleaning and also low dynamic surface tension for optimum wetting with reduced drag out.
- CupraPro® MV: Biodegradable pre-treatment product for IC Substrate plating applications, specifically developed for use in vertical hoist type equipment. It is NPE free and grants fast, effective pre-treatment through its low dynamic surface tension for via filling applications with reduced drag out.
- CupraPro® VC: New acid pre-treatment product for all panel and pattern copper plating applications, specifically developed for use in vertical conveyorized equipment. It grants low foaming in turbulent fluid environments and rapid, effective wetting of all structures, especially high aspect ratio through holes and BMVs.
Pattern BMV filling for IC-substrates
Best plating uniformity using insoluble anodes in vertical equipment
Uniplate® InPulse 2
Atotech’s leading integrated horizontal system for electrolytic copper deposition
The unique Uniplate® InPulse 2 System and processes are ideally suited to meet all demands for high end production using pulse plating at high effective current densities with insoluble anodes.
- Inpulse® 2HF – Atotech’s SuperFilling technology allows reliable high volume HDI production of stacked via technology
- Inpulse® 2THF – a unique process enabling inclusion-free through hole filling with minimum surface plated copper
- Inpulse® 2HT – provides high throwing power in conformal plating of substrates with high and low hole density areas
Did you know?
Surface active agents (“surfactants”) adsorb toward the solution surface gradually, changing the surface tension of the solution over time.
Thus, for target solutions that include surfactants, surface tension must be studied over time (dynamic surface tension).
2014, PDF, 975 KB
This article describes the different techniques of via filling and their characteristics. It points out the advantages of reverse pulse plating and how the technology was modified to approach new market requirements such as thicker core substrates and laser drilling of through holes. The current capability of the system for inclusion free filling and the areas where development is ongoing are demonstrated.
2012, PDF, 900 KB
This paper describes latest developments in the electrolytic deposition of solder to replace the stencil printing process; results from production of 90 µm bump pitch solder arrays with tin/copper alloy are given. The solder bump is produced with a specially developed electrolytic tin process which fills a photo resist defined structure on the SRO. The photoresist dimensions determine the volume of solder produced and the subsequent bump height after reflow.