Panel and pattern plating
Complete solutions for all aspects of package substrate and HDI production
- Electrolytic plating for the highest requirements in reliability and productivity
- Solutions for various equipment types: Uniplate® IP2, vertical conveyorised lines, conventional hoist type
- Market leading Uniplate® IP2 equipment for horizontal conveyorized production
- Conformal plating
- BMV filling
- TH filling
- Metal resist, electrolytic final finishes
Conformal copper plating
- High volume conformal plating production in Uniplate® InPulse 2 equipment: Inpulse® 2HFU is masking drilling defects and provides reliable coverage of wedge voids thanks to its superior throwing power in BMVs. The process is the ideal solution for reliable mSAP flash plating. Inpulse® 2HT assures best plating uniformity in through holes with significantly improved surface plated copper distribution, comparing high and low hole density areas.
- The latest version of Atotech’s Cupracid® TP series: Cupracid® TP3. This is an electrolytic copper plating process for conventional hoist type DC equipment using soluble anodes. It provides outstanding throwing power at high current densities and low surface tension for the comprehensive wetting of BMVs and through holes. Cupracid® TP3 offers excellent reliability results. It is a very robust process with stable plating performance after idle time.
- Cupracid® AC is for conformal copper plating with soluble anodes. It provides excellent throwing power in both BMVs and Through Holes at high current densities. Cupracid® AC is compatible with a wide range of vertical conveyorised systems with sparger electrolyte agitation as well as hoist type equipments with air agitation.
Copper BMV filling
- Horizontal BMV Filling: Inpulse® 2HF provides outstanding BMV filling performance (Superfilling®). Superlative BMV filling results with minimum surface plated copper will be achieved. Thus the use of Inpulse® 2HF in the unique Uniplate® InPulse 2 System in combination with the Atotech Fe-redox Cu replenishment system is ideally suited and proven for high end and high volume HDI production. Atotech’s latest development, Inpulse® 2MSAP, in combination with the new Uniplate® InPulse 2 pattern equipment offers pattern BMV filling at excellent panel surface distribution. The process is dedicated for (a)mSAP production at highest current densities and provides outstanding rectangular line shape.
- Vertical BMV filling: InPro® MVF is a VCP process for current and next generation HDI BMV filling. It is designed for use of insoluble anodes in DC mode and provides excellent pattern BMV filling without dome plating at minimum plated thickness. The InPro® THF process is not only capable for through hole filling but is also a high current density pattern BMV filling process in VCP systems with insoluble anodes. It is the ideal solution for (a)mSAP applications.
Copper through hole filling
- Inpulse® 2THF together with the unique Uniplate® InPulse 2 horizontal reverse pulse plating systems is ideally suited for through hole filling , especially for core material with a copper foil of less than 5 µm thickness. Inpulse® 2THF grants reliable and inclusion-free copper through hole filling combining patented X-plating and Superfiling® technology in one process chemistry achieving lowest possible surface thickness.
- InPro® THF is a filling electrolyte for laser ablated through holes (LTH) in VCL facilities for IC Substrate production. The process is targeted for VCP equipment in DC mode with sparger systems and copper oxide replenishment. The process may also be used for pattern BMV filling at highest current densities for (a)mSAP production.
Electroytic final finish
- Nikotron®: Assures a soft, ductile and low internal stress nickel deposits. Stress level and hardness can be controlled.
- Aurotron®: An electrolytic gold plating for wire bonding and soldering as well as for hard gold applications.
- Pallatron: Provides an electrolytic palladium deposition for higher reliability and reduces costs for Ni/Pd/Au applications.
- SolderFill®: A high-speed Electrolytic Tin Solder Depot Plating which overcomes the limitations of solder paste printing and Micro-ball placement.
- StannoBond®: An electrolytic tin plating process for Solder on Copper Pillar and for Thermo Compression Bonding.
- CupraPro® S8: A biodegradable pre-treatment for all HDI panel and pattern copper plating applications. It grants excellent cleaning and also low dynamic surface tension for optimum wetting with reduced drag out.
- CupraPro® MV: A biodegradable pre-treatment product for IC Substrate plating applications, specifically developed for use in vertical hoist type equipment. It is NPE free and grants fast, effective pre-treatment through its low dynamic surface tension for via filling applications with reduced drag out.
- CupraPro® VC: A new acid pre-treatment product for all panel and pattern copper plating applications, specifically developed for use in vertical conveyorized equipment. It grants low foaming in turbulent fluid environments and rapid, effective wetting of all structures, especially high aspect ratio through holes and BMVs.
Pattern BMV filling for IC-substrates
Best plating uniformity using insoluble anodes in vertical equipment
Uniplate® InPulse 2
Atotech’s leading integrated horizontal system for electrolytic copper deposition
The unique Uniplate® InPulse 2 System and processes are ideally suited to meet all demands for high end production using pulse plating at high effective current densities with insoluble anodes.
- Inpulse® 2HF – Atotech’s SuperFilling technology allows reliable high volume HDI production of stacked via technology
- Inpulse® 2MSAP – Atotech’s first horizontal pattern BMV filling process for (a)mSAP production
- Inpulse® 2THF – a unique process enabling inclusion-free through hole filling with minimum surface plated copper
- Inpulse® 2HFU – best BMV preparation for subsequent lamination and copper filling within mSAP production processes
Did you know?
Atotech offers Copper filling solutions not only for our unique Uniplate® IP2 system but also for VCP and hoist type systems as well.
BMV filling is achieved with low surface copper plated in panel and pattern plating. Through hole filling is available in panel plating inclusion free for horizontal equipment and in pattern plating for vertical conveyorised systems.
2016, PDF, 6.500 KB
This article was originally published in Global SMT & Packaging, Vol.16 No. 3 on page 38. It highlights CupraPro S8, a new acid cleaning pre-treatment which is designed to offer high flexibility for the substrates to be pre-treated. Pre-treatment by acid cleaners is a vital process step in order to grant successful copper plating within the PCB production. The described pre-treatment is intended for multiple use, i.e. for MLB as well as HDI applications in hoist type equipment.
2014, PDF, 975 KB
This article describes the different techniques of via filling and their characteristics. It points out the advantages of reverse pulse plating and how the technology was modified to approach new market requirements such as thicker core substrates and laser drilling of through holes. The current capability of the system for inclusion free filling and the areas where development is ongoing are demonstrated.