Surface treatment technology
PCB and package substrate solutions
- Global market leader in I/L bonding
- Special copper pretreatment solutions
- Advanced adhesion promoters and etchants for package substrates
- Photoresist Stripping optimized for fine line manufacturing
- Bonding enhancement
- Advanced surface preparation
- Photoresist stripping
- PCB and package substrate applications
- NovaBond® IT: A non-etching adhesion promoter that promotes reliable mechanical adhesion for IC-Substrate and high frequency materials. The NovaBond IT process also provides good thermal reliability and is also compatible for solder resist materials. Due to its non-etching nature it shows significant benefits on signal integrity especially in high frequency applications.
- Multibond®: This Black Oxide process can be operated over a wide range of temperatures and dwell times to produce a variety of bonding properties, depending on the specific applications.
- BondFilm®: Atotech’s simple and economic oxide alternative process for improved inner layer bonding. With over 400 lines and installations worldwide Atotech leads this market segment globally and contributes to the success of many key PCB manufacturers.
Advanced surface preparation
- EcoFlash®: Innovative one-step process that was developed for differential etching for SAP and MSAP applications with fine line technology.
- CupraEtch® DT: Specially developed for Photoresist preatreatment and offers a specifically suited excellent surface roughness for this application.
- CupraEtch® SR: A very robust process and is suitable for soldermask and photoresist pretreatment. As all CupraEtch processes it has a particularly high copper loading window that allows for minimization of waste water treatment needs and therefore translates directly into cost savings.
- BondFilm® LDD: The reliable BondFilm® series has been expanded into the BondFilm LDD product in order to create a pretreatment and surface that maximizes CO2 laser absorption and ensure improved direct LDD results. This improved laser absorption property yields consistent hole sizes, reduced “Copper Splash” and less undercut than other LDD pretreatments.
- ResistStrip® Series: The extensive range of ResistStrip® Series products ensures that Atotech has the correct solution on offer for every PCB application need. The product range is based on modified hydroxides and amine solutions to guarantee enhanced stripping performance with minimal corrosive attack.
- ResistStrip® IC Series: ResistStrip® IC series is an evolution towards suitability for very fine line production and has been specially formulated to meet the demands of the very demanding IC-Substrate industry. The traditional stripping mechanism has been modified to essentially stop the film swelling that leads to lock in and dry film residues in fine line applications and to perform optimal with advanced manufacturing methods such as SAP.
- PallaStrip® IC: A cyanide free palladium stripper that is suitable for use in removal of palladium containing seed layers. The removal of any seeding layer is critical in fine line applications as they can lead to uncontrolled deposition during subsequent plating operations. PallaStrip offers a simple and easy process solution without the use of any harmful cyanide components.
- TinSolv® & SolderStrip®: Atotech’s range of two-stage and single-stage metal strippers ensure clean and active copper surfaces after metal resist stripping. The formulations of TinSolv® (for tin stripping) and SolderStrip® (for tin / lead removal) enable complete and even stripping, both on the surface as well as in small holes and blind vias.
Direct metal deposition on molding resin
- Enabling technology for direct metal deposition on molding resin: Booster® MR is a unique wet-chemical adhesion enhancement process for primer-less metal plating directly on molding resins. Direct plating on molding resin enables applications for conformal electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding and “direct circuit formation” on molding resins, such as for FO WLP (FO PoP, FO SiP). The Booster® MR process can handle singulated and strip based products, using tape carriers to prevent the I/O side from being attacked by the plating solutions.
Adhesion promoter for plating on glass
- Adhesion promoter for plating on glass: Atotech’s VitroCoat GI is a new and innovative adhesion promoter that enables wet chemical metal deposition on glass. It can be applied using a short, simple, cost effective dip-coating method. VitroCoat GI’s key advantage is unparalleled coverage in high aspect ratio through-vias versus competing processes such as PVD.
BondFilm® LDD MSAP
Advanced LDD pretreatment
Improved efficiency of laser absorption at low etch depth of 0.5 µm
Integrated production solution for bonding enhancement and surface treatment technologies
The Horizon BondFilm system offers Atotech’s latest technology package in chemical processing, thin material conveyance and fluid delivery.
- Horizon® BondFilm LDD – a unique process to improve CO2 laser absorption of surfaces prior to laser direct drilling applications at maximum reliability
- CupraEtch® – a unique multipurpose micro-etch system for best adhesion of primary imaging resists or solder masks in the production of high quality printed circuits
Did you know?
We offer advanced photoresist strippers specialized for the fine line requirements of package substrate manufacturing.
Atotech’s advanced surface pretreatment products allow S/M pretreatment with EDs as low as 0.5 µm.
2015, PDF, 680 KB
Reports about the performance of the newly developed ferric sulfate based EcoFlash process for SAP and aMSAP application with the focus on performance and fine line cpability in comparison with hydrogen peroxide etchants.
2016, PDF, 1.885 KB
The industry demand for finer lines and spaces, higher signal integrity and above all lower etch depth requirements for the above described DF, LPIR and SM pretreatments have to be balanced with the performance demands for the application in question the OEM performance demands to the final panel.
In this regard, Atotech here present a new ferric-sulfate based process CupraEtch® FHTM which is both technically and commercially superior to existing POR pretreatment chemistries.
A New Reliable Adhesion Enhancement Process for Directly Plating on Molding Compounds for Package Level EMI Shielding
2015, PDF, 1.400 KB
Plating on molding compound is a relatively new field which could open up new package designs. One major application is conformal self EMI shielding (package level shielding) of ICs. Generally, EMI shielding is done mainly by metallic cans, however, this technique increases the space requirements and reduces flexibility of component layout on the PCB, that would not be suitable to handset products.
Electroless and electrolytic copper plating of glass interposer combined with metal oxide adhesion layer for manufacturing 3D RF devices
2016, PDF, 2.550 KB
With the recent commercialization of carrier aggregation, RF far front end filters require reduced size of inductors and capacitors while keeping high quality factors. High performance RF multiplexers have low insertion loss and rejection at certain frequencies which can be achieved by reducing the electromagnetic coupling between components. To meet this stringent filter requirement three-dimensional (3D) RF inductor-capacitor (LC) filters have been fabricated on through-glass-via (TGV) and on a glass substrate surface. We have successfully integrated the adhesion layer and electroless and electrolytic copper plating technologies into semi-additive process (SAP) and built up a 3D RF front end filter devices on 400 μm thick 200mm diameter glass wafers as well as 300mm x 300mm glass panels with 80 μm diameter holes.